You can do a lot more with cabbage than making an enormous coleslaw – stuffed cabbage rolls are a great option. This recipe for tasty cabbage rolls is surprisingly easy to make. Just make sure to pre-cook the cabbage leaves before rolling, otherwise it takes ages before they’re cooked through and it will be a lot harder to roll. It can be quite a challenge to get through these large vegetables, so using whole leaves will help 😉 This is a fairly basic recipe, so go wild on the extra ingredients or herbs. Looking forward reading you version of this recipe!
Recipe stuffed cabbage rolls with an onion & mince filling
Ingredients for 4
3 spring onions or half a brown onion (diced)
400 grams of minced meat
3 tablespoons tomato sauce
Salt & pepper
Roasted sesame seeds to serve
Optional: mix the minced meat with cooked rice
- Bring a large pot of water to boil. Cut centre core out of cabbage and place, core side down, in boiling water. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- In a bowl mix egg, meat, parsley, pepper and salt, onion and tomato sauce together.
- Remove cabbage to a rimmed baking sheet, keeping water in the pot. Gently remove leaves from cabbage, cutting away from the core with a small knife. Set aside the best 8 unbroken leaves and cut off the thick spine in the center for easier rolling. Set all remaining broken or small cabbage leaves aside. (If the core is too firm, return it to boiling water for a few minutes to soften).
- Place about 1/4 cup of filling in each leaf, roll, and place seam side down in a cooking pot. Find a pot that is only just big enough for all the rolls to fit in. So they are not stacked, but have very little space to move around.
- Pour (hot) beef stock on top, so the leaves are only just covered. Cook on low for 30 minutes.