After our wedding we were left with a whole bunch of sugar and almond meal, and I thought it would be great to pop them in a nice dessert. We’ve got a 1kg box of cherries in the fridge that we’re slowly working our way through (as we’re often out). I thought combining the two might make something delicious – and fortunately my hunch has paid off!
Cherry Almond Cake
This is a really easy cake, that tastes great warm or cool at room temperature. The total duration was about 45 minutes including a cooking time of about 30 minutes. Most of the ingredients should be available in the pantry too.
- 1/2 cup of butter
- 300 grams of cherries
- 1 cup of gluten free self raising flour (substitute for non-gf if desired)
- 2/3 cup of almond meal
- Sprinkle of salt
- 2 duck eggs
- 3/4 cup of sugar
- 1/2 cup of milk
- Turn the oven to 200C.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan.
- Mix the flour, almond meal and salt together in a bowl.
- In another bowl beat the sugar and eggs until thick and light in colour.
- Mix in the butter and milk.
- Cut the cherries in half or quarter and put in the bowl with the flour and almond meal.
- Combine the flour and almond meal mixture with the eggs and sugar and mix with a spoon.
- Pour entire mixture into a cake baking tin, allowing room for the cake to rise.
- Cook for 25-30 minutes. And there you have a cherry almond cake!
I got some of my inspiration from reading this recipe.