When I found this beautiful whole cauliflower in my organic vegetable box this week, with it’s big leaves still on there, I wondered… Why don’t we eat those leaves? So let’s start this recipe with a tip -> use the leaves! They go well sliced finely in a salad or chopped up in a stir fry. I made a little side salad together with the leafy greens that were also in the veggie box, some walnuts and the left over cauliflower dressing.
To surprise the boyfriend, I thought it would be nice to roast the entire cauliflower as a whole.
This recipe has an Indian touch, that’s why I served it with pappadams and roast curry carrots. Did you know you can heat up pappadams in the microwave?! No oil needed.
It does take a while for the cauliflower to cook all the way through. I took 1 hour and it wasn’t cooked all the way through, so let’s say 90 minutes on 180°C should do the trick.
Recipe whole roast cauliflower
Ingredients for 4
1 whole cauliflower
0.5 tpsn mustard
1 tspn coriander powder
1 tspn cumin
1 tspn turmeric
0.5 tspn sea salt
0.5 tspn chili powder
1 garlic clove, finely diced
3cm of fresh ginger, finely diced
100ml of Greek yoghurt
Half a lemon or lime
Optional: Small handful of fresh coriander
- Preheat the oven to 180°C
- Mix all the spices, garlic and ginger through the yoghurt. Squeeze out the lime or lemon juice
- Remove all the leaves + stem from the cauliflower (keep for a salad or a stir fry!)
- Place the cauliflower in an oven tray and cover the whole thing with the yoghurt dressing, you can use a basting brush
- Roast in the oven for about 90 minutes until golden and soft
- If you want to serve carrots, simply toss some smaller carrots through some olive oil and curry powder and add it to the tray in the oven for the last 30-40 minutes
Optional: Serve fresh coriander with the roast.
Tip: Make some extra yoghurt dressing and serve with pappadams.