Bring some new flavours into your old classics with a Jerusalem artichoke and potato rosti. The nutty, earthy flavours of the artichoke bring some extra heartiness. This week we we had delicious Jerusalem artichokes in the veggie box, so if you get a box and haven’t used them yet why not give this a whirl?
What I love about a rosti is that it is suitable no matter what time of the day. Breakfast, lunch or dinner, you can’t go wrong. You can eat them by itself or serve it alongside something. The possibilities of what to serve it with are endless as well. Is it a base for your fried eggs and on a Sunday morning? Or a side to your baked salmon when your friends come over for a mid week catch up?
Recipe for Jerusalem Artichoke and Potato Rosti
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Medium sized bowl
500g Jerusalem Artichoke
1 heaped teaspoon of cumin (or any spices of your choice)
Salt and pepper
Oil, for frying
1. Peel and wash the vegetables, then grate them.
2. Squeeze out any excess water from the vegetables and then place them into a bowl. Mix in the two eggs and flour until it is all coated and combined.
3. Heat your frying pan and then add the oil for frying. You can throw a little grated piece in to tell when it is hot enough, you really want it to sizzle.
4. Place a big spoonful of the mixture into the pan then pat it down flat. You should be able to fit 3 or 4 on a pan at a time.
5. Cook around 5 minutes on each side, until golden brown and the vegetables are cooked.
6. Serve warm. You may need to put the earlier cooked ones in a dish in the oven on a warming function while you cook the rest.
Be sure to tag us in your rosti cooking endeavours.
We love to see what storm you are cooking up in your kitchen.