Treat yourself to this delicious tomato and caramelised onion tart. A wonderful savoury tart that will packs a good flavour punch and celebrates the arrival of tomato season!
The great thing about this is that its also versatile as it can be served both warm and cold. Perfect for summer on the Peninsula, where it can’t decide if it is actually summer or winter!
Please note that the photo below does not show the the olive and pastry portions to the correct size. Tarts disappear quickly in my household so I always make extra pastry and bake a few! You could also use your apples from this weeks fruit bag to make this simple apple tart.
Recipe for Tomato and Caramelised Onion Tart
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes
1 sheet of pâte brisée
2 medium onions
2 tomatoes, sliced
30g olives, sliced
2 tsp dijon mustard
50-100g grated cheese
An extra knob of butter or oil for frying
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius.
2. Half and then slice your onions. Place in a frying pan with some butter and cook on low-medium heat for 10-15 minutes until they start to soften and brown.
3. Line your baking tin with your pastry.
4. On the base add your mustard and spread across the area of the base. Then add your tomatoes, cooked onions, olives, and grated cheese.
5. Place into the oven and cook for 35-40 minutes, or until appropriately browned.
6. Serve alone or with a lovely green salad.