Try this toasted corn and potato salad as a fresh and vibrant take instead of the traditional creamy potato salad, a great vegan alternative! It is always a welcome addition to the summer spread or BBQ.
As much as I enjoy creamy foods (and desserts!) I’ve personally never been a big fan of creamy dressed salads. When I’m having salad I really love fresh produce and flavours, and this is where this recipe comes from. Plus, what a way to celebrate some of the first corn for the season in our veggie boxes!!
Want more greenery or veg? Why not also throw in some of the spinach and capsicum from the veggie box as well. Make it your own play around with things you have at home.
Recipe for Toasted Corn and Potato Salad
Prep time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 20 mins
3-4 cobs of corn
5-6 spring onions
2-3 teaspoons of paprika
For the dressing:
1 part extra virgin olive oil
1 part lemon juice (or lime)
A sprinkle of paprika
Salt and pepper
1. Start by prepping your vegetables. Wash and dice your potatoes into bite sized cubes. Remove husk from your corn, wash and cut the kernels off the cob. Wash and slice your spring onion.
2. Boil the potato in a pot of boiling water for approx 15 minutes until soft. The time will depend on the size and type of potato, so just keep an eye.3. Once cooked, strain the potatoes under cold water.
4. In the pot, heat up some oil, then drop in your corn kernels and paprika. Keep stirring and cook for a few minutes when the kernels start to golden.
5. Make your salad dressing by mixing the EVOO, lemon or lime juice, paprika and S+P.
6. Combine everything to serve.
Wanting some protein in your meal?
Why not try adding some shredded chicken to your bowl.
Or, if you want to keep it vegan/vegetarian then add in some delicious red kidney beans.
Happy cooking everyone!